Have you been feeling stressed lately? I’ll be surprised if your answer is “No”. The past year has not only been testing our patience and perseverance, it’s been testing our stress coping mechanisms. For most it’s a test they may be challenged with on a daily basis.
Guest Blog Contributor: Bojana Dee
Meet Guest Blog Contributor: Bojana Dee. Bo, of Divine Remedy Healing is a Master Energy Healer, Self Mastery Expert, Registered Aromatherapist and Reiki Master. Take it away Bo!
Here is a little background about me. I’m 1/3 Pure Generator (if you have no idea what this means, it’s an energy type according to Human Design) and this means my sacral is a defined energy field that creates consistent life force energy and gives me an ample amount of energy to operate with each and every day. Yes, at the core of me I am one of those people who just has too much energy and needs to find ways to burn it off, each and every single day.
So, would you be surprised if I told you that in my 20’s I experienced not one, not two, but three major burnouts. Each one left me in bed for months! In fact it took about 7 years of my life to heal. This is why I ultimately became an Aromatherapist, Reiki Master, and Energy Healer, and how I eventually started studying Quantum Human Design. But that’s a story for another time.
Stress: The Silent Killer
There is a reason why stress is called a silent killer. Most people don’t realize until it’s too late just how stress is affecting them. Most people don’t realize the signs our body sends us to warn that there is a powerful force trying to disturb its peace. The American Medical Association has noted that stress is the basic cause for more than 60% of all human illnesses and diseases. Let that sink in for a second. Although I personally believe this number is much higher.
Let’s do a quick and basic lesson on why stress happens and what we can do about it.
Stress 101 Lesson – why it happens and what we can do about it?
Why do we get so stressed? In most instances, life deals us a card that we view as difficult to handle. Our pain and suffering is always rooted in attachment and our unwillingness to let go. This need to control ends up controlling us because we create a toxic environment we end up living in, and find it next to impossible to remove ourselves from it.
Our body recognizes stress as danger and activates our stress response system – the adrenal glands. Adrenal glands release hormones, which we cannot live without, like cortisol and adrenaline which are part of our ‘fight or flight’ response. In small amounts, stress is good for us. It alerts our brain and body to protect itself. With chronic stress, the body stays alert. Overtime, the adrenal glands get burned out from prolonged production of cortisol. And, they take a long time to heal.
Are you aware of how stressed you may actually be?
Burnouts take time. They don’t happen overnight. And our body continues to send us signals at every stage, but for the most part we just think we can handle it, until we can’t.
There are 3 stages of stress: alarm, resistance and burnout.
- In the alarm stage our body sends us warning signs like increased headaches, muscle tension, chest pain, cravings for sweet and salty foods, and the beginning stages of insomnia (these are just a few). If we do not remove the stressor, our body moves into the next stage.
- The resistance stage where it starts to fight back by adjusting to the stress. This is the most crucial stage because this is when the body starts releasing sustained amounts of cortisol in order to maintain alertness. If we remove the stressor, we allow ourselves to recover. If we do not remove the stressor, our body simply adapts to the increased amount of cortisol and starts requiring it to function. Without any changes, the body simply moves into the final stage.
- Burnout stage, involves draining the cortisol levels.
What can we do about stress?
How did I manage to burn out 3 times? I didn’t remove my stressor in time. And more importantly, I didn’t realize what my true stressor was. Human Design helped me learn exactly that.
Homeopathic and natural medicine helped me heal my adrenals, which were in pretty bad shape. Energy medicine helped me connect with my soul and my true purpose. Once I learned what it felt like to function in alignment it was pretty easy to spot anytime I was out of alignment.
We are all created differently, and it would be difficult to generalize how burnout can manifest without looking at a person’s specific chart. One generalization can be, that those with undefined sacral energy can take on, and amplify the sacral energy they pick up from others, running for far too long on energy that does not belong to them, without getting proper rest. Another generalization would be that those with a defined sacral can unwillingly put extreme amounts of pressure on themselves (especially if their root is defined) and run themselves into burnout. This was the case for me.
Stress Coping Mechanisms
Finding stress comping mechanisms is a personal journey and every single person needs to find something that works for them that they can incorporate and keep up with. Healthy habits are key. But, I’ll share what worked for me in case it helps you.
- Seeing a Homeopathic doctor for testing every 3-4 months. Should my adrenal levels drop, I’ll know and can work on healing them right away.
- Taking 4 daily supplements that not only feed my adrenals but also help me function at optimal levels (Magnesium Bisglycinate, Vitamin C + D, Vegetable Iron).
- Following a daily self-care routine. I eat well, exercise, meditate and surround myself with positivity.
- Checking in with my support team as often as I need to.
Do I still get stressed? Of course! The difference? I won’t hesitate to remove anything that’s causing me stress.
If you find yourself having a difficult time coping with stress, I encourage you to tap into your self-love and self-worth and choose your wellness over anything else! And remember, everything in life is temporary!
Love & light. -Bo